Volunteers are an essential part of our community at Point Defiance Zoo & Aquarium, donating their valuable time, passion and expertise to the Zoo. In honor of National Volunteer Week, we want to extend our appreciation to everyone who has donated their time and energy to support our mission.
- Sharing stories about our animals
- Welcoming guests to the Zoo
- Exploring beaches and parks in our community
- Monitoring endangered species
- Caring for the underwater world through diving
- Presenting animals for our guests to see up-close
- Continuing to learn about animals and conservation issues
Our volunteers make it possible for us to accomplish great work.
- Volunteer divers shared messages of care and protection for our aquatic world with over 16,000 guests.
- Wildlife Champions volunteers helped Tacoma students at Lister and Arlington elementary schools learn about nature and empathy.
- Horticulture volunteers donated 500 hours to ensure our Zoo grounds looked amazing every day.
- And volunteer interpreters helped us engage and awaken connections to wildlife in over 68,000 guests.
Volunteers have a deep, collective impact on the Zoo. We can do incredible things here with our guests and animals because of the community support our volunteers provide. Thank you, volunteers! We’re grateful for your vital role in our operation and success.
Interested in volunteering?
If you have a passion for animals and the environment, visit our volunteer page to learn more about adult and youth opportunities.