ZooQuarium Online Learning
Animals, Learning, Fun
Learning or teaching at home?
ZooQuarium Online Learning offers parents, educators and group leaders an easy way to connect kids with science, while learning about a topic they love – animals!
Using the Zoom or TEAMS platforms, Zoo staff engage kids in live, interactive life science programs that align with the Next Generation Science Standards (NGSS) adopted by Washington and 20 other states, while connecting them with amazing Zoo animals through active observation, live questions and fun.
Available for individuals, classes and groups. (Perfect for Scouts, homeschoolers and learning pods!)
Upcoming Individual Dates
|3:30pm Wed||Program||1pm Fri||Program|
|Nov. 18||Red Wolf||Nov. 20||Sharks|
|Nov. 25||NO CLASSES||Nov. 27||NO CLASSES|
|Dec. 2||NO CLASSES||Dec. 4||NO CLASSES|
|Dec. 9||Polar Bears||Dec. 11||Polar Bears|
|Dec. 16||Sea Otters||Dec. 18||Wild Cats|
|Dec. 23||NO CLASSES||Dec. 25||NO CLASSES|
|Dec. 30||NO CLASSES||Jan. 1||NO CLASSES|
NOTE: All times PST.
CLICK A PROGRAM BELOW TO BOOK!
Upcoming Group Dates
|All programs||11:15am, 1pm, 2:15pm||11:15am, 1pm, 2:15pm||11:15am, 1pm, 2:15pm||11:15am, 2:15pm|
NOTE: No programs Sat-Mon. All times PST.
Need a different time? Contact us at ZooQuarium@pdza.org.
CLICK A PROGRAM BELOW TO BOOK!
Book your program
Things to Know
DO FAMILY MEMBERS HAVE TO REGISTER SEPARATELY?
Yes, please register them separately if they want to ask their own questions and respond individually on their own screen! If they are sharing one screen or device, they can register as one person.
WHAT DO I NEED TO PARTICIPATE?
- Internet access and device with speakers. Having a camera and mic will allow the participants to be seen and heard during the program, but it is not required.
- The Zoom link emailed to you by Point Defiance Zoo & Aquarium the day before your scheduled program.
- A method for taking notes. Learners are encouraged to take notes and may be asked to participate in a writing or drawing activity.
- It is also helpful to write down your questions during the programs so you remember them for the Q&A at the conclusion of the program. The instructor will also do their best to answer questions that come through on chat during the program.
- If there is something else that would be helpful to have during a specific lesson, this information will be included in the email with the Zoom link.
- A quiet space with little or no distractions.
- Ears ready to listen.
- Eyes ready to observe.
- Some learners might like to have a silent buddy (such as a favorite stuffed animal) with them during the lesson, especially if an adult or siblings are not available for the entire lesson. This buddy can provide support and encouragement and may even help come up with a question or two.
- A Science Notebook can be a helpful tool to help remember what was observed or discussed during a lesson. This doesn’t have to be anything fancy. A folder with notepaper or a regular notebook will do. Consider decorating the cover in the science theme.
HOW IS THE PROGRAM CONDUCTED?
- There will be one Zoo instructor visible on screen who will lead the lesson live.
- Learners may be asked to respond to guiding questions using the Chat function on Zoom. However, during Individual programs learners will not be able to interact directly with each other.
- All participants will be muted, so as not to distract other learners. Questions may be typed into the Chat. For some programs, the instructor may have someone with them who can pass on participant questions during the lesson. However, in some cases questions may need to wait until the end. Write them down so you don’t forget!
- The instructor will intersperse writing, drawing or other activities during the lesson.
- The lesson portion will last approximately 40 minutes.
- The instructor will stay online with the participants for additional time to answer questions.
WHAT IF I NEED TO CANCEL?
- Programs are non-refundable, but circumstances may allow for programs to be rescheduled.
For group bookings:
- If a group encounters technical problems on the scheduled date of a program, there will be a 15-minute grace period after the scheduled start time to determine if the problem can be resolved.
- If not, the program will be canceled for that date. The group then has the option to reschedule the program.
- If the group chooses not to reschedule, or if the technical issues (on the side of the participant) cannot be resolved on another program date, the full program fee will still be charged.
Email us at ZooQuarium@pdza.org.