Welcome to Rocky Shores
Experience our new Rocky Shores habitat - home to Pacific walruses, sea lions, harbor seals, sea otters, common murres, tufted and horned puffins. The animals are enjoying the more than $2 million makeover that has transformed the Rocky Shores complex. You will love it, too, as you connect even more closely to marine animals.
- Whistle with Dozer, a 3,300-pound male walrus, one of four walruses at Point Defiance Zoo & Aquarium.
- Get face-to-face with a California sea lion through a viewing window.
- Watch a sea otter groom herself and play with her new buddy.
- Hear the throaty barking of a California sea lion.
The renovated Rocky Shores features a number of improvements, including:
- Better sight lines for watching the antics of playful sea otters.
- A redesigned home for California sea lions and harbor seals.
- Covered stadium-style seating for watching animals and listening to keeper talks.
- A repaired and renewed 125,500- gallon pool for the zoo’s four walruses, featuring more haul out areas in an exhibit that resembles the features of a rocky coastal area.
- Updated graphics and colorful murals that tell the story of interconnectedness between humans and the sea, with messages about how humans can help care for the ocean and the animals that call it home.
- A new wheelchair and stroller friendly pathway that gives visitors a faster trip to the Arctic Tundra home of majestic polar bears.
For more than three decades, E.T. the walrus has been a beloved symbol of the Zoo's conservation efforts. He often entertained visitors with his flipper waves, pool splashes, and vocalizations. E.T. died last year at age 33.
Honoring E.T. with a sculpture
The community is raising money to fund a life-sized bronze sculpture to be installed outside the Zoo's front gate.
Support E.T.'s legacy >