Winter Camps FAQs
Winter Camps FAQs
FAQs & SAFETY POLICIES
HOW DO I GET ON A WAITING LIST?
- Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please provide your contact information, and for which camp session you would like be added to a waitlist.
DO YOU OFFER SCHOLARSHIPS?
- Yes! For the best chance of securing a spot in a camp session, we recommend submitting your application before 5pm on Tuesday, Nov. 2.
- Member registration for camps begins at 9am on Wednesday, Nov. 3. General registration will begin at 9am on Friday, Nov. 5. Later applications will still be considered if there are spots open in the requested camp session.
- Download a Zoo Camp Scholarship Application.
WHAT IF I NEED TO CANCEL OR CHANGE MY CAMP REGISTRATION?
- We appreciate you notifying us immediately should you need to cancel or change your Winter Camp registration.
- Contact us at email@example.com or 253-404-3800 to request a cancellation or change.
- No refunds for cancellations made less than 14 days prior to the program start date.
- For cancellations requested more than 14 days prior to the program start date an 80% refund will be given.
- Program/Camp date changes (if available) will be charged a 20% rescheduling fee.
WHAT ARE THE COVID PRECAUTIONS?
- Camp operations will follow the guidance outlined in this document: Child Care, Youth Development, and Day Camps During the COVID-19 Outbreak DOH-OSPI-DYCF-SchoolsChildCareGuidance.pdf (wa.gov).
- Zoo staff may adjust camp policies and procedures as new guidance becomes available.
- Campers and staff must wear a well-fitted cloth face covering at all times unless eating or drinking. This covering MUST fit comfortably over the mouth and nose without the need for regular adjustment. We will provide a disposable mask if a change is needed during the day.
- Campers and staff will be assigned to a distinct group (pod) that will stay together throughout the entire day during their session. This will limit mixing between campers and staff from other camp sessions.
- Zoo staff will be responsible for regular cleaning and disinfecting of bathrooms and high touch areas used by campers.
- Each camper will be provided with their own set of supplies to use for the duration of camp. These supplies will be disinfected at the end of each day.
- Hand washing stations will be used as often as possible. When not available, hand sanitizer will be supplied.
HOW WILL WE BE CONTACTED IF SOMEONE IN MY CHILD’S CAMP HAS SYMPTOMS OR AN EXPOSURE OUTSIDE OF CAMP?
- You will be contacted directly by the Metro Parks Tacoma COVID-19 Emergency and Safety Officer.
WHERE WILL CAMP ACTIVITIES BE TAKING PLACE?
- Each group will have a designated indoor learning space in the Education Center or the Environmental Learning Center (SAMi High School).
- Each camper will have their own cubby for storing backpacks and other belongings.
- Camps will visit various areas of the zoo, including the indoor Pacific Seas Aquarium galleries.
- Not every camp group will get to visit every part of the Zoo for these one-day Winter Camp sessions.
WILL THERE BE BEHIND-THE-SCENES ACTIVITIES?
- In order to protect our animal care staff and animals that are vulnerable to the COVID-19 virus, there will be no behind-the-scenes access for camp participants.
WILL I RECEIVE A CAMP REMINDER?
- You will receive an email the week before your camp session begins with any updated information.
ARE THERE ANY FORMS TO COMPLETE?
- Yes, a completed Participant Form with a signed waiver on the back, must be given to Zoo Camp staff before your child can be admitted to camp. This form includes the following:
- Parent/Legal Guardian and Emergency Contact Information
- List of adults with authorization to pick-up your child.
- Any medical information that will help our Zoo Camp staff understand and support the needs of your child.
- Any behavioral concerns that will help our Zoo Camp staff understand and support the needs of your child.
- Waiver for camp participation.
HOW TO I REQUEST AN ACCOMMODATION FOR MY CHILD?