Tacoma Resident Free Days
Thank you, Tacoma
Visitors who live at a Tacoma address will be admitted free on the Tacoma Resident Free Days listed below. Please bring proof of residency (see below).
Free admission is valid for daytime visits only. Not valid for special events.
The free day is offered as a thank you to Tacoma voters, who in 1999 approved a $35 million bond issue to pay for Zoo improvements. The money has funded several new additions to the zoo over the past decade, including Kids’ Zone and Animal Avenue, the Asian Forest Sanctuary, Wild Wonders Outdoor Theater, animal hospital, new front gate, education center, gift shop and café.
In 2014, Tacoma voters approved the Neighborhood Parks & Zoo Improvements and Safety Upgrades Bond, which enables further improvement of the Zoo, including the construction of the new Pacific Seas Aquarium and renovation of the Rocky Shores habitat.
The Zoo also rewards Pierce County residents with discounted admission prices every day. That discount recognizes the support of Pierce County voters, who approved a sales tax in 2000 that contributes to Zoo operations.
Proof of Residency
- Adults 18+ are required to provide proof of residency at a Tacoma address (not a P.O. box).
- If your photo ID does not have a physical Tacoma address, you will be required to provide an alternative method of documentation, such as a photo ID with a utility bill (or other legal document that lists a Tacoma address) that matches the name on the photo ID.
- Each adult living at that address must provide an alternative method of proof of residency if their ID does not have a Tacoma address.
- Children age 17 and younger do not require proof of residence.
2020 Free Dates
- Sunday, Jan. 12
- Sunday, Feb. 23 – rescheduled for Saturday, Feb. 29
- Thursday, March 12
- Wednesday, Sept. 23
- Sunday, Oct. 25
- Sunday, Nov. 8