Winter Camps FAQs
Winter Camps FAQs
FAQ & SAFETY INFORMATION
Find answers to Frequently Asked Questions and our Winter Camp safety procedures.
WHEN DOES WINTER CAMP REGISTRATION OPEN?
- Member registration for camps begins at 9:00 am on Tuesday, October 18th. General registration will begin at 9:00 am on Friday, October 21st.
HOW DO I GET ON A WAITING LIST?
- If a camp is sold out and you would like to be added to a waiting list, you may contact us at email@example.com. Please provide your name, email address, phone number, child’s name and current grade level, and the camp session you are interested in.
DO YOU OFFER SCHOLARSHIPS?
- Yes. However, scholarship applications are now closed for this year’s winter camps.
WHAT IF I NEED TO CANCEL OR CHANGE MY CAMP REGISTRATION?
- We appreciate you notifying us immediately if you need to cancel or change your Camp registration.
- Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or 253-404-3800 (M-F 8:00 am-4:30 pm) to request a cancellation or change.
- No refunds for cancellations will be made less than 14 days prior to the program start date.
- For cancellations requested more than 14 days prior to the program start date, an 80% refund will be given.
- Program/Camp date changes (if available) will be charged a 20% rescheduling fee.
WHAT ARE THE COVID-19 PRECAUTIONS?
- If anyone in your family feels ill or has been in close contact with someone who has tested positive for COVID-19, please keep your child(ren) at home.
- We will follow the guidance outlined in DOH School Flow Chart Symptoms, and may adjust camp policies and procedures as new guidance becomes available.
- Masks will not be required for campers. However, we will support any camper who chooses to wear one.
- We do not require campers to be vaccinated or show proof of vaccination status.
- Campers will be encouraged to wash their hands as often as possible. When handwashing is not available, we will supply hand sanitizer.
- Each camper will be provided with their own set of supplies for use during the camp. And we will regularly clean bathrooms and high-touch areas used by campers.
HOW WILL WE BE CONTACTED IF SOMEONE IN MY CHILD’S CAMP TESTS POSTIVE FOR COVID-19?
- You will be contacted directly by the Metro Parks Tacoma COVID-19 Emergency and Safety Officer.
WHERE WILL CAMP ACTIVITIES TAKE PLACE?
- Each group will have a designated indoor learning space in the Education Center or the Environmental Learning Center (SAMi High School).
- Each camper will have their own cubby or designated space for storing backpacks and other belongings.
- Camps will visit various areas of the Zoo, including the indoor Pacific Seas Aquarium.
- Not every camp group will visit every part of the Zoo for these one-day Winter Camp sessions.
WILL THERE BE BEHIND-THE-SCENES ACTIVITIES?
- To protect our animal-care staff and animals that are vulnerable to the COVID-19 virus, we are unable to offer behind-the-scenes experiences.
WILL I RECEIVE A CAMP REMINDER?
- You will receive an email at least one week before your camp session with any updated information.
ARE THERE ANY FORMS TO COMPLETE?
- A completed Camp Participant Form and signed Waiver (on the back of the form) for each camper must be handed to camp staff on the first day of camp (please do NOT email us your form in advance). Without the form and waiver, we cannot admit a child to Zoo Camp.
- If you do not have access to a printer: we can provide a blank printed copy of the Camp Participant Form when you arrive at camp – please plan to spend a few extra minutes completing this form when you get here.
- The Camp Participant Form includes the following:
- Parent/Legal Guardian and Emergency Contact Information
- List of adults with authorization to pick-up your child.
- Any medical information that will help our Zoo Camp staff understand and support the needs of your child.
- Any behavioral concerns that will help our Zoo Camp staff understand and support the needs of your child.
- Waiver for camp participation.