Adult VolunteersVolunteers of Point Defiance Zoo & Aquarium donate their time, talents and energy to:
- Help guests learn about the animals they see on exhibit
- Assist with the delivery of educational programs
- Staff special events
- Greet guests at the main entrance
- Maintain zoo grounds and exhibits
- Assist keepers with animal care
Are you interested in joining our dynamic and diverse team?
Once you have reviewed the volunteer opportunities, you are ready to take the next steps in the application process. Interested individuals will need to complete an online application, interview and background check and zoo orientation before being accepted as a volunteer for Point Defiance Zoo & Aquarium.
Thank you for your interest in volunteering. Please review the following volunteer openings to see if one fits your skills and interests.
Don't see what you are looking for? Please look back in the Spring 2018.
STEP 1: Complete and submit an online application.
After your application has been received, you will receive an email confirming your submission and instructions for setting up your individual interview.
STEP 2: Individual Interview.
All applicants must schedule an interview with the volunteer office. Once you submit your online application you will be sent details about the interview.
Interviews will be scheduled 2 weeks prior to Zoo Orientation
STEP 3: PDZA Orientation
All accepted volunteers must attend the Volunteer Orientation
Next Volunteer Orientation:
Point Defiance Zoo & Aquarium selects people for adult volunteering who are:
- At least 18 years old;
- Interested in and care about people, animals, and conservation;
- Friendly, outgoing, enthusiastic and dependable;
- Committed to the highest standards of customer service;
- Able to meet their position's minimum commitment of hours;
- Able to attend a required Zoo Orientation;
- Able to contribute a $40 administrative fee (financial assistance is available);
- Able to pass a standard national background check; and
- Able to sign a Metro Parks Tacoma disclosure statement.