What the Zoo Can do for You
- Schedule a field trip and take your students for a walk on the wild side as they visit us here at the Zoo!
- Get your students ready to visit the Zoo with the Zoo Preview.
- Bring the Zoo to Your School! We offer many Wildlife Lessons topics, including Creature Classification, Fabulous Food Chains, Investigating Invertebrates, and Vanishing Species, just to name a few. Each Lesson includes a visit with a live animal ambassador and a hands-on experience with items such as animal skulls and pelts.
- Invite your students to come to the Zoo for our annual Career Day, always the second Saturday in November. Post this Career Day Flyer at your school.
- What else can we do for you? Contact email@example.com.
Currently these workshops are only offered through Tacoma Public Schools. If you are outside of Tacoma and are interested in attending workshops in the future please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Animal Systems: Grades K-2
February 16th, 2016
Each animal is its own system made up of body parts that help it to survive. Get suggestions for how to teach your students about animals as living systems and help guide them to more easily understand systems as a whole.
Ecosystems: Grades 3-5
February 17th, 2016
Every animal is its own system living within an ecosystem. Learn how to help your students identify the parts of living systems and to apply this knowledge to understanding the concept of sustainable ecosystems.
Introducing Climate Change for K-5 Students:
March 9th, 2016
Join the Zoo’s education specialists to discover some effective ways to introduce young students to global warming and climate change. Learn more about these challenging subjects and hear examples about how various species of wildlife are impacted. Come away with resources and simple activities and tips to help you and your students take action to “green” your school.
Polar Science Weekend at the Pacific Science Center in Seattle, WA is a great event for students of all ages to attend with their families to learn about climate change from climate scientists. This four-day family friendly event includes hands-on activities, live demonstrations and exhibits presented by scientists who work in some of the most remote and challenging places on earth. Polar Science Weekend happens annually over the first weekend in March. Zoo Educators will be there Friday and Saturday with cool biofacts and fun activities. Stop by and say hello!
Click here for a list of Global Warming and Climate Change resources.
Be Green and Be Cool
Cool the Earth
If you are looking for a great way to motivate your students to fight climate change, this program will give you the recipe and even some of the ingredients to make a difference. Tell them Point Defiance Zoo & Aquarium sent you!
Washington Green Schools
Engage students as environmental stewards and leaders while creating a greener, healthier school by reducing environmental and carbon footprints.
Eco-Schools USA - National Wildlife Federation
Green your school inside, outside, and throughout your curriculum! Join over 50 other countries in this international initiative designed to encourage whole-school action for the environment.