Service ProjectsPoint Defiance Zoo & Aquarium is pleased to offer fun and rewarding service project opportunities for individuals or groups. You or your group may assist with events, on-grounds horticulture maintenance, or other special conservation projects. If your group would like to participate in a project, please submit the Group Service Project Application.
Group Service Projects
Budgie Buddies is an open-air walk through bird exhibit. Guests can enjoy viewing the birds and purchase $1 seed sticks to feed the friendly birds. During a typical season, PDZA sells around 60,000 seed sticks to guests.
Volunteers will make seed sticks during this 2-hour project. It requires individuals to be seated at a table completing a repetitive task. Groups may schedule their project on most days of the week. All supplies will be provided.
Date: March 30 - September 15, 2015 (Please contact Volunteer Services for specific dates)
Time: 10am - 12pm or 1pm-3pm
Age: Volunteers preferred age is 10 years of age or older.
Group Service Project Application
If you have further questions about opportunities, please email Volunteer Services or call 253-404-3695.
- Due to strict animal husbandry guidelines and safety issues, there is no animal contact or inside exhibit work with the animals. This is for the safety and well-being of the animals and the participants.
- Groups interested in visiting the zoo & aquarium before or after their service project must purchase admission tickets. See project guidelines for details.
- Groups interested in visiting the zoo & aquarium grounds before or after their project must purchase admission tickets. Tickets purchased prior to the day of service will be given the lowest discounted admission ticket price ($5 per person). Purchase tickets at Group Reservations.
- Group volunteers must identify a group coordinator that is responsible for the safety and well being of group members including providing the coordination and supervision for the group while volunteering.
- The group must include one adult chaperone per every 5 youth (age 17 and younger).
- Volunteers must be 10 years or older. Please send an inquiry to Volunteer Services for service projects for younger participants.
- It is the responsibility of the group coordinator to obtain a signed parental consent form for group members under the age of 18, which must be on file with the group coordinator. Organizational forms may be used.
- The group understands that they will not receive any monetary compensation for their volunteer services.