Service ProjectsPoint Defiance Zoo & Aquarium is pleased to offer fun and rewarding service project opportunities for individuals or groups. You or your group may assist with events, on-grounds horticulture maintenance, or other special conservation projects. If your group would like to participate in a project, please submit the Group Service Project Application.
PLEASE NOTE: Due to strict animal husbandry guidelines and safety issues, there is no animal contact or inside exhibit work with the animals. This is for the safety and well-being of the animals and the participants.
- Volunteers must be 10 years or older. Some projects have age limitations.
- The group must include one adult chaperone per every 5 youth (age 17 and younger).
- Group volunteers must identify a group coordinator that is responsible for the safety and well being of group members including providing the coordination and supervision for the group while volunteering.
- It is the responsibility of the group coordinator to obtain a signed parental consent form for group members under the age of 18, which must be on file with the group coordinator. Organizational forms may be used.
- The group understands that they will not receive any monetary compensation for their volunteer services.
Group Service Projects
Budgie Buddies is an open-air walk through bird exhibit. Guests can enjoy viewing the birds and purchase $1 seed sticks to feed the friendly birds. During a typical season, PDZA sells around 60,000 seed sticks to guests.
Volunteers will make seed sticks during this 2-hour project. It requires individuals to be seated at a table completing a repetitive task. Groups may schedule their project on most days of the week. All supplies will be provided.
Group Size: 5-30 volunteers
Date: March 22 - September 15, 2014 (Please contact Volunteer Services for specific dates)
Time: 10am - 12pm
Age: All volunteers must be 10 years of age or older.
If you have further questions about opportunities, please email Volunteer Services or call 253-404-3695.