10:00 am - 5:00 pm
Beat the heat! Join us for an arctic blast in the middle of summer. Watch animals cool off with special ice treats. Frolic in piles of shaved ice on the main Zoo lawn, then "chill out" with an ice cream treat from the cafe!
Think of it as January in August, though don't look for real snowflakes. The cold will arrive in 37 50-pound bags of shaved and party ice and another 710 pounds of ice blocks. All together that's some 2,560 pounds--nearly as much as the combined weight of all three Point Defiance Zoo polar bears.
Kids and adults can get in on the icy landscape, too. Some 750 pounds of shaved ice will be spread on the Zoo's main lawn, creating a mini-winter wonderland until the sun melts it away.
See animals cool off and play in piles of shaved ice.
- 10 am - Muskoxen get piles of shaved ice as enrichment. (Arctic Tundra)
- 11:30 am - Polar bears frolic in piles of shaved ice. (Arctic Tundra)
- 11:30 am - Clouded leopards get their little piece of winter. (Asian Forest Sanctuary)
- 12:30 pm - Tigers will play in an ice temple built of blocks. (Asian Forest Sanctuary)
- 12:30 pm - Arctic foxes get piles of ice in which to romp. (Arctic Tundra)
- 2 pm - Lynx kitten will get an icy enrichment. (Wild Wonders Outdoor Theater) - Meet Jasper!
- 2:30 pm - Red wolves get their turn with piles of ice. (Red Wolf Woods)
- 3 pm - Walruses get "icebergs" made from blocks of floating ice. (Rocky Shores)
- 4 pm - Tigers get popsicles as a special icy treat. (Asian Forest Sanctuary)
FREE with paid admission or membership. Skip the lines and enjoy a discount on general admission by purchasing online!