Adult VolunteersVolunteers of Point Defiance Zoo & Aquarium donate their time, talents and energy to:
- Help guests learn about the animals they see on exhibit
- Assist with the delivery of educational programs
- Staff special events
- Greet guests at the main entrance
- Maintain zoo grounds and exhibits
- Assist keepers with animal care
Are you interested in joining our dynamic and diverse team?
Once you have reviewed the volunteer opportunities, you are ready to take the NEXT STEPS in the application process. Interested individuals will need to complete an online application, interview, and background check before being accepted as a volunteer for Point Defiance Zoo & Aquarium.
Zoo greeter welcomes guests to PDZA and assists them in giving directions, in using the ticket turnstiles, and answering questions. Zoo Greeters talk with guests of all ages. Greeters assist during Zoolights, annual events, and during large attendance days.
Budgie Seed Stick Coordinator
The Budgie Seed Stick Coordinator oversees the production of seed sticks for the Budgie Buddies exhibit.
Explore the Shore Beach Naturalist
Beach naturalists lead participants on Explore the Shore beach walks at Owen Beach in Point Defiance Park. They guide groups of 10-20 people ages 5 and up in beach stewardship, animal identification, and recording the presence and location of animals along the beach.
Volunteers work event activity stations, provide guest service, and assist in set up/ break down of Point Defiance Zoo & Aquarium and Zoo Society hosted events.
Volunteers support the horticulture staff in maintenance of the landscaped beds on Point Defiance Zoo & Aquarium grounds.
- At least 18 years old;
- Interested in and care about people, animals, and conservation;
- Friendly, outgoing, enthusiastic and dependable;
- Committed to the highest standards of customer service;
- Able to meet their position's minimum commitment of hours;
- Able to attend a required Zoo Orientation;
- Able to contribute a $40 administrative fee (financial assistance is available);
- Able to pass a standard national background check; and
- Able to sign a Metro Parks Tacoma disclosure statement.