Adult VolunteersVolunteers of Point Defiance Zoo & Aquarium donate their time, talents and energy to:
- Help guests learn about the animals they see on exhibit
- Assist with the delivery of educational programs
- Staff special events
- Greet guests at the main entrance
- Maintain zoo grounds and exhibits
- Assist keepers with animal care
Are you interested in joining our dynamic and diverse team?
Once you have reviewed the volunteer opportunities, you are ready to take the next steps in the application process. Interested individuals will need to complete an online application, interview, and background check before being accepted as a volunteer for Point Defiance Zoo & Aquarium.
Aquarium Diver: Divers assist in the husbandry of the large aquariums. Applicants must be certified to rescue level by a nationally recognized scuba organization. Currently accepting applications for diver wait list.
Animal Hospital Records Assistant: Volunteers assist the veterinary staff in entering animal medical information into the animal records database system. Candidate must be enrolled in or a recent graduate of a pre-veterinary, veterinary, or veterinary technology curriculum.
- At least 18 years old;
- Interested in and care about people, animals, and conservation;
- Friendly, outgoing, enthusiastic and dependable;
- Committed to the highest standards of customer service;
- Able to meet their position's minimum commitment of hours;
- Able to attend a required Zoo Orientation;
- Able to contribute a $40 administrative fee (financial assistance is available);
- Able to pass a standard national background check; and
- Able to sign a Metro Parks Tacoma disclosure statement.