Adult VolunteersVolunteers of Point Defiance Zoo & Aquarium donate their time, talents and energy to:
- Help guests learn about the animals they see on exhibit
- Assist with the delivery of educational programs
- Staff special events
- Greet guests at the main entrance
- Maintain zoo grounds and exhibits
- Assist keepers with animal care
Are you interested in joining our dynamic and diverse team?
Once you have reviewed the volunteer opportunities, you are ready to take the next steps in the application process. Interested individuals will need to complete an online application, interview and background check and zoo orientation before being accepted as a volunteer for Point Defiance Zoo & Aquarium.
Please review the following volunteer opportunities to see if one fits your skills and interests.
Interpreters talk with guests of all ages about animals and conservation actions. Interpreters lead activities and conduct presentations with specific themes. Apply OnlineZoo Greeter
Zoo greeter welcomes guests to PDZA and assists them in giving directions, in using the ticket turnstiles, and answering questions. Zoo Greeters talk with guests of all ages. Greeters assist during Zoolights, annual events, and during large attendance days. Apply Online
Budgie Seed Stick Coordinator
The Budgie Seed Stick Coordinator oversees the production of seed sticks for the Budgie Buddies exhibit. Apply Online
Explore the Shore Beach Naturalist
Beach naturalists lead participants on Explore the Shore beach walks at Owen Beach in Point Defiance Park. They guide groups of 10-20 people ages 5 and up in beach stewardship, animal identification, and recording the presence and location of animals along the beach. Apply Online
Volunteers work event activity stations, provide customer service, and assist in set up/ break down of Point Defiance Zoo & Aquarium and Zoo Society hosted events. Apply Online
Volunteers assist with husbandry of the major aquarium exhibits by diving under the direction of aquarium staff and dive safety officers. We encourage you to submit your Aquarium Diver Application to the volunteer office.
Volunteers support the horticulture staff in maintenance of the landscaped beds on Point Defiance Zoo & Aquarium grounds. Apply Online
STEP 1: Complete and submit an online application.
After your application has been received, you will receive an email confirming your submission and instructions for setting up your individual interview.
STEP 2: Individual Interview.
All applicants must schedule an interview with the volunteer office. Once you submit your online application you will be sent details about the interview.
STEP 3: PDZA Orientation
All accepted volunteers must attend the following training to start volunteering.
Saturday, May 14 2016
9am - 12:30pm.
Once you have completed your interview you will be sent more details regarding the zoo orientation.
- At least 18 years old;
- Interested in and care about people, animals, and conservation;
- Friendly, outgoing, enthusiastic and dependable;
- Committed to the highest standards of customer service;
- Able to meet their position's minimum commitment of hours;
- Able to attend a required Zoo Orientation;
- Able to contribute a $40 administrative fee (financial assistance is available);
- Able to sign a Metro Parks Tacoma disclosure statement; and
- Able to pass a standard national background check.